vim & python

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Mar 2 10:20:17 EST 2004

[gabor]

> i always wanted to ask this... why people use GVIm and not the
> normal-vim-in-a-terminal? what is the advantage of gvim?

Mainly the ability to use the mouse for some quick operations, like
positioning the cursor between two characters, moving big distances by
dragging scroll bars, changing window dimensions by dragging the bars
between windows, wandering in help through clicking on index items,
clicking within the fold margin for opening and closing folds, etc.

I'm usually not fond on the mouse, but strangely (to me at least),
`gvim' is effectively taming me into using it.  One thing which I often
do is repeating mouse fast positioning of the cursor with `.' typed with
the left hand.  It is also surprising how many `vim' operations you can
quickly do with the left hand alone! :-)

One thing which helped me a lot is that, right from the beginning, I
took the time of carefully customising `gvim' so it uses readable fonts,
consistent colours, and such things.  As for Python editing, of course,
`vim' customisation is equally available within and outside X.