[OT] Compilable Python-like language?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Mar 20 17:47:38 EST 2004

Carl Banks wrote:

> Fran?ois Pinard wrote:
>
>>[Ed Cogburn]
>>>I'm just curious if such a beast exists out there.  I've googled
>>>around some and read some programming language websites but I have yet
>>>to find a language similar to Python that can be compiled to binary.
>>>[...] Is there such a thing?
>>
>>What is your real need?  Why do you consider important to compile
>>something to an executable binary?  The goal is executing a program
>>written in Python, or Python-like language, isn't it?
>
> I really don't think why he needs it is necessary to answer this
> question: he stated what he wanted clearly enough.  And I would say
> questioning his need for a complied language is quite presumptuous.

Presumptuous?  Hardly.  It's a very valid question to ask.

By asking for "a compiled language like Python", Ed is making the common
mistake of specifying a solution without identifying what his
requirements are.  We are simply trying to identify what his real needs
are so that we can give him a useful answer, along the lines of, say,
"use py2exe for easier packaging" if that were his goal.

Also, although I don't think this is a problem Ed has, some people are
confused about interpreted versus compiled and such things.  It's just
possible that someone asking such a question has an incorrect
understanding of how programs work, and thus asked a "wrong question"
innocently.

-Peter