Which Python module for PostgreSQL?

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Tue Mar 2 18:30:08 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm not new to Python, but new to databases and PostgreSQL.
I like to write a PostgreSQL client application (not code
running inside of the RDBMS), and Debian has four modules:

python2.3-pgsql - A Python DB-API 2.0 interface to PostgreSQL v7.x
python2.3-popy - module providing access to PostgreSQL from Python2.3
python2.3-psycopg - Python 2.3 module for PostgreSQL
python2.3-pygresql - PostgreSQL module for Python

Now I'm confused: Which one should I use?  I'm going to try
python2.3-psycopg, but maybe the other variants are "easier
to use"?  Or faster?  Or more complete?  Thread-safe?

Thanks in advance for your hints!

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle at debian.org>