Any way to get information from fun objects about their parameters?

Kenneth McDonald kmmcdonald at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 24 19:49:57 EST 2004

For autodocumentation purposes, I'd like to be able to load a module
and then find out the following information about functions and
methods defined within it:

1) Parameter names and order
2) Default value, if any, associated with each parameter
3) If the *param or **param conventions are used in the
parameter list.

Reading documentation about function objects, the only
relevant information I can extract is a tuple representing
default param values, which is not useful to me.

I know I could probably do this by parsing the module, but
I would strongly prefer a simpler way. I'd have thought that,
like docstrings and many other properties, the parameter info
would also be stored with function objects.

Thanks,
Ken