Static Typing in Python

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue Mar 16 04:47:30 EST 2004

Peter Hickman wrote:
> Jacek Generowicz wrote:
>
>> Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> writes:
>> I have read it before. I still disagree with the implication that
>> Python is weakly typed just much as I did when I first read it.
>>
>> But you are ignoring my explanation of how Python is strongly typed,
>> and of the distinction between strong-vs-weak and dynamic-vs-static
>> typing, and are instead resorting to argument from authority:
>

> Right. I should listen to you because you are an authority on Typing but
> ignore Guido van Rossum.

No. You should listen to Jacek because what he says is obviously correct
and backed-up by theory and practice. And you should also re-read GvR's
interview, this time using your brain.

(snip clueless args)

>> What an absurd statement. You are suggesting that Python's type system
>> somehow depends on the relative magnitudes of two people's knowledge.
>
> When one of them is the creator and guiding light of the language. Yes.

How does the words of GvR in an interview impact the actual Python's
type system ? I'd like you to explain this to me ?

Bruno