Static Typing in Python

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Mon Mar 15 12:47:43 EST 2004

Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Peter Hickman <peter at semantico.com> writes:
> I have read it before. I still disagree with the implication that
> Python is weakly typed just much as I did when I first read it.
>
> But you are ignoring my explanation of how Python is strongly typed,
> and of the distinction between strong-vs-weak and dynamic-vs-static
> typing, and are instead resorting to argument from authority:

Right. I should listen to you because you are an authority on Typing but
ignore Guido van Rossum.

> He's actually contrasting _statically_ typed languages with
> Python. Unfortunately he is using the word "strongly" where he should
> be using "statically".

So you are saying the Guido van Rossum doesn't know what he is talking
about and I should take it from you what he really meant? And you said
that I was resorting to 'argument from authority' when you are positing
to know what he really meant.

> ... he seems to be suggesting that Python is NOT weakly typed ... so
> the implication seems to be that it IS strongly typed. What he's
> really hinting at is the fact that weak-vs-strong and
> static-vs-dynamic are orthogonal axes.

Well if we are to assume that Guido doesn't know what he is talking
about then you can probably twist his words to suit whatever you want
him to mean (as opposed to what he actually said).

> (Hint: "runtime typing" is almost synonymous with "dynamic typing".)

Hint: Guido used the words 'strong', 'weak' and 'runtime' in the same
discussion and clearly delineated one from the others.

> What an absurd statement. You are suggesting that Python's type system
> somehow depends on the relative magnitudes of two people's knowledge.

When one of them is the creator and guiding light of the language. Yes.

> I certainly don't know more about Python than Guido does, but I do
> appear to know more about type system nomenclature than Guido does :-)

Is this a resort to argument from authority. (no smiley)

> Argument from authority is remains very unconvincing, even if that
> authority is Guido himself.

pot/kettle/black