GUI Frameworks in Python?

Hugh Macdonald HughMacdonald at brokenpipefilms.com
Tue Mar 30 08:35:20 EST 2004

On 30 Mar 2004 05:18:58 -0800
michael at foord.net (Fuzzyman) wrote:

> 'Programming Python' has an excellent introduction.. so I started with
> Tkinter thinking that when I hit restrictions I could move onto wx. I
> haven't yet reached the point where Tkinter restricts me. Whereas
> there are a couple of widgets missing from the standard distribution,
> Tkinter *can* be used to make clean and modern looking interfaces.....
> And the syntax isn't too gawky once you've climbed the initial
> learning curve.

For me, the issue with TK is less the restrictions it imposes and more the way of writing it in the first place.

> > GTK: Unknown - I'm looking into it today
> >

> Is this Linux only ?
> (pardon my terrible ignorance...)

Yeah - it is... I'n only developing for Linux here...

> > Qt: I have yet to manage to install it on my system
> >
> Although *technically* cross platform, windoze users can't get a free
> version... so I'm never going to bother looking at it...

That doesn't bother me - everything I'm writing is for in-house use only, and would only ever be run on Linux...

Thanks for everyones thoughts... I'm actually planning on sticking with wxPython for the moment. I've decided that I can live with the extra few seconds to load up, although I don't like it...

--
Hugh Macdonald
The Moving Picture Company