GUI Frameworks in Python?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 30 09:46:12 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Hugh Macdonald wrote:
>
>> wxPython: I love the programming side of wxPython, but I find it's
>> just so slow to initialise in the first place.
>
> I don't understand this, though it's been mentioned before.
>
> On my machine, launching the wxPython Demo app takes roughly 0 seconds
> before the splash screen appears, and I can immediately click on it
> and get the app itself, for a total launch time of: immeasurably fast.
>
> I would think, given the size of the demo itself, that just about
> anything it does should be representative of other apps on the
> same machine.

Whenever I make even the smallest wxPython program, it takes multiple
seconds before the window is visible. Last time I tried was on a Pentium
4-M 2.2 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. Not a slow machine, and other software
runs just fine.

It's really annoying, and nothing I do seems to improve the situation.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven