GUI Frameworks in Python?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 31 04:57:55 EST 2004

Peter Maas wrote:
> Roel Schroeven wrote:
>
>> Whenever I make even the smallest wxPython program, it takes multiple
>> seconds before the window is visible. Last time I tried was on a
>> Pentium 4-M 2.2 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. Not a slow machine, and other
>> software runs just fine.
>>
>> It's really annoying, and nothing I do seems to improve the situation.
>

> Did you try a preload? You can start an invisible task that keeps
> the wxpython stuff in memory. You could even start this task as a
> Win32 service so that it is loaded prior to any login.

That might be a good idea --  I'll try that the next time I'm doing some
wxPython work.

> BTW, the load time is not only due to GUI libs. Python itself does
> also have a share. Just tried that with a command line script and
> my rough estimate is that approx. 50% of the wxpython load delay
> is due to Python itself (at least on my machine: Win 2000, 800MHz,
> 256 MByte).

In my experience, loading Python itself is very fast. Perhaps not if it
isn't yet cached in memory, but afterwards that doesn't seem to be where
the problem is.

That said, I just tried a simple little program, and it seems to be much
faster than what I remember from 6 months ago. I'm not doing any
wxPython work right now, but I'll do some more checking before
complaining about startup speed again.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven