a desired python editor

Jim Benson jbenson at sextans.lowell.edu
Mon Mar 8 21:13:13 EST 2004

Hi,

  Does anyone know of a source code editor for python
that has the following characteristics:

1) Freeware (desired)
2) Runs on Linux (required)
3) Syntax high lighting (required)
4) A separate window for each file opened (desired)
5) A way of seeing (and jumping to) the names of all methods/functions
   data elements in the file. (required)

I have been using jcc (Code Crusader) from http://newplanetsoftware.com/
for years (even before it went commercial) for c++ and java code. It has
all of my required traits for C, C++ and Java...but not yet for python.

Boa has all but item 4...but it has a few other nuisances
on Linux (at least RH-9) that cause me to to look for something
else.

Nedit has all but item 5.

Thanks,

Jim