os.popen() failing under ipython+cygwin, I'm stumped.

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue Mar 9 17:30:48 EST 2004

* Jason Tishler (2004-03-09 21:18 +0100)
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 05:30:24AM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>> Unfortunately idle under Cygwin has the same problem. I rebased the
>> five TclTk dlls but that didn't changed the error ("os error: resource
>> temporarily unavailable").
>
> The best (or at least easiest) approach is to just rebase all of your
> DLLs -- use rebaseall.
>
>> For obvious reason I didn't want to rebase the whole Cygwin
>> installation because that would break a lot of things...
>
> Can you be more specific?  We cannot address issues if we do not know
> what they are.

I wasn't specific on purpose because this is a Cygwin issue and might
not interest the Python folks. The readme written by this JT guy
states:

,---
| <WARNING>
| Note it is *strongly* recommended that users only use rebaseall unless
| they *really* know what they are doing or are instructed by one of the
| Cygwin developers.
| </WARNING>
`---

I tried 'rebaseall' and it broke at least zsh and sshd - and these
were just the two I noticed immediately. Reemerging zsh helped and
reemerging openssh would have helped probably, too. But the whole
rebase might have broken dozens of other Cygwin apps and when I use
those in a few days and they segfault I might not guess that it was
the rebaseall and that I just have to reemerge them.

So I modified the script that just the file list was written to a file
and I deleted all the non Python dlls in the list. It helped with
IPython but not with idle. On the other hand I still have a working
Cygwin installation (because I tried the "rebaseall" on a copy) - and
this is more worth than a working idle but a broken Cygwin
environment.

All apps were the latest versions and Cygwin was the latest snapshot
1.5.8s from 2004-03-06.

Thorsten