Python bytecode compatibility between interpreter versions

Jon Perez jbperez808 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 21:26:59 EST 2004

Joe Mason wrote:
> In article <slrnc5sc8c.qbu.joe at gate.notcharles.ca>, Joe Mason wrote:
>
>>This has not been remotely my experience.  Recently I tried 5 different
>>Linux JVM's for one program, leaving the Sun JRE until last because it
>>was a bit harder to install, and only the Sun one worked.

If you stick to console programs, you are not likely to experience
problems.  However, when it comes to Swing apps, the other JREs
(JVM + J2SE API implementation) out there (with the possible
exception of IBM's) are not mature enough to be practical in use.

The bottom line is that by sticking to Sun's JRE on Linux and Windows,
and Apple's implementation on the OS X, you do have a very effective
WORA platform.  The others are largely good only for experimentation.

 >> the Sun JRE until last because it
 >> was a bit harder to install, and only the Sun one worked.

Strange, I didn't find the Sun JRE the least bit difficult
to install on Linux... execute the script, add the j2sdk/ or
j2re/ and/or its bin directory to your PATH, and you can start
doing

java -jar jarfile

under X Window, and run Swing apps immediately.