Why Python?

Robert M. Emmons RobMEmmons at cs.com
Mon Mar 1 10:40:47 EST 2004

> 3. Some other languages make it easier to detect certain classes of errors
> in your code.  With a few exceptions, errors in Python code can only be
> found by actually running the code or by checking by hand.

True maybe, but I would argue that Python is not suseptable to many if
not most of the errors generated and found in say C/C++ coding.  You
also have a dramatic code volume reduction which helps too.

There are static code checkers too for python which can help some too.

I personally think that python has it as a whole on debugging -- i.e.
pretty much the lack of a need to do much sophisticated debugging.

It's not clear to me what kind of error that a C compiler can catch
that's difficult to deal with in Python (although I'm sure there are
some).  IMHO the whole reason C/C++ has sophisticated debugging tools is
that code debugging in C is a nightmare.

Thanks for the info--I enjoyed your comments and other's replies to them.

Take care.
Rob