Static Typing in Python

Dang Griffith google0 at lazytwinacres.net
Mon Mar 15 15:34:14 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:47:08 +0000 (GMT), Premshree Pillai
<premshree_python at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>>>I do not think forced *declaration* is important,
>>>except perhaps in
>>>C/++/#/Java, Pascal, Ada, etc.
>
>Why the discrimination? Considering programming
>languages in general, what do you have to say with
>forced declaration?
>
>I don't think the discrimination is justified
>considering that all of them belong to the
>procedural/OOP (read same) paradigm.

    I was being half-facetious.  I would have included languages
from other paradigms if I knew ones that required declaring
variable names.  (They probably exist, but I don't know them.)
    It is important in those languages because they require it to
compile/execute.  I.e., you can't write a valid program in those
languages without statically declaring the variable names.  In
addition, you must declare their compile-time (static) type.  Those
are separate things, though part of a single statement in those
languages.

    --dang