OFF-TOPIC:: Why Lisp is not my favorite programming language

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Fri Mar 12 05:39:40 EST 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:
> You missed Josiah's point (at least as I understood it) - the idea was
> to show how painful programming can be, and then experience the
> revelation of switching to Python. It's a standard practice in some
> religious circles, where people are guided to wallow in remorse of
> original sins and other unpleasant stuff, and then feel the relief of
> divine forgiveness.

Then you need to throw in some Intel assembly!

> As a side note, Ruby has no OO advantages over Python. This has been
> discussed in this newsgroup extensively.

Never said it had but I was aiming for a wide range of languages to show
that TIMTOWTDI. A good programmer should be familiar with a wide range
of languages and techniques. Prolog shows a style of programming,
declarative, that is not easy to experience in Python (or Perl or Ruby
or C but perhaps in Icon), a more procedural type of language.

If all you want her to be is a Python zealot then go ahead, but you
would be doing her a greater service by allowing her to become a good
programmer.

I take it her name isn't Josiah Jr?