Replacing base class

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Mar 3 11:06:03 EST 2004

Alexey Klimkin wrote:

> Assume an example:
> class A:
>   def f(self):
>     print 'A'
> class B(A):
>   def f(self):
>     A.f(self)
>     print 'B'
> class C:
>   def f(self):
>     print 'C'
>
> I need to make class Bm with the same functionality as B, but
> derived from C, instead of A. Classes C and A have the same
> interface.

Maybe the following pattern could be helpful:

class Abstract(object):
    """ define the interface with noops """
    def f(self):
        pass

class A(Abstract):
    def f(self):
        super(A, self).f()
        print "A",

class B(Abstract):
    def f(self):
        super(B, self).f()
        print "B",

class C(Abstract):
    def f(self):
        super(C, self).f()
        print "C",

You can now make classes that derive from any combination of A, B and C,
where the method f() in each of the bases is invoked exactly once, e. g:

def demo(b):
    print b.__class__.__bases__
    b.f()
    print

for B1 in (A, B, C):
    for B2 in (A, B, C):
        if  B1 != B2:
            class B3(B1, B2):
                pass
            demo(B3())

class B3(A, B, C):
    pass

demo(B3())

The disadvantage is the need of the base class (Abstract in the example)
where the common interface is defined and which seems somewhat unnatural in
Python.

Peter