Python as replacement for PHP?

Peter Maas fpetermaas at netscape.net
Wed Mar 3 09:52:20 EST 2004

CountScubula schrieb:
> You also need to look at what each language was desgined for, sure I can
> write a dynamic web page in bash or korn, but why?  Perl was written to do
> large extraction and reporting of text files, Python was written as a server
> language

I don't think so. It seems Python was written as a rapid development
language without a specific application range. That's an advantage
because you can get a lot of different jobs done very well. That's
a disadvantage because there's no no-brainer like "Python is for ...".

A family of marketing phrases comes into mind:

- Python is NOT for device drivers.
- Writing a device driver? Beware of Python!
- OS kernels? Don't even think of Python!

:)

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de