GUI Frameworks in Python?

Peter Strempel peterstrempel at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 02:46:02 EST 2004

Greg Krohn wrote:

> On my machine (WinXP Pro, AMD 2400, 512MB) it takes a little over three
> seconds before the splash shows and maybe another two seconds for the
> main frame to show. It takes a little over a second to load IDLE.

Roughly the same here: 2-3 seconds for the Demo and my own wxPython app to
start on a Mac G5. Around 3 seconds on my Pentium II 333 MHz with Linux and
Win2000 as well - you don't need a GHz CPU to create a window with Python.
The only limitation I can think of is limited memory so the OS needs to swap
to free some space first. CPU speed is not a serious factor.

I personally consider wxPython the best choice for a Python GUI. Tkinter
apps look too alien to the common Windows enduser. Of course that depends on
the target audience and might be an issue or not.

  Peter