GUI Frameworks in Python?

Lars Heuer python at quixs.com
Wed Mar 31 08:44:09 EST 2004

Hi Andrew,

> best are Mozilla and Abiword.  There was once a Python binding for
> Mozilla's widget library XUL but I don't don't what's happended to
> that.  Anone know if this is relevant to our discussion of cross
> platform GUI's?

I think, Mozilla is relevant for x-platform GUIs
There is an interesting project (but wrong licence, in IMO), called
MozPython, which embeds Python into Mozilla.
http://www.thomas-schilz.de/MozPython/README.html

pyXPCOM is still alive, but I think, the lack of pyXPCOM documentation
is a problem here.
ActiveState's Komodo is build with Mozilla and pyXPCOM
http://www.thomas-schilz.de/MozPython/README.html

Another problem of Mozilla / XUL is, that you've to switch between
your programming languages: JavaScript for XUL and your favorite
programming language in the back. If your favorite programming lang
is JavaScript, you don't have to switch, of course. ;)

If someone is interested in Mozilla as platform, than the following
sources might be helpful:

XUL / XPCOM
http://www.xulplanet.com/
http://www.xulplanet.com/forum/