NT service (setting Description string)

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 04:23:32 EST 2004

>From: Thomas Heller [mailto:theller at python.net]
>"Larry Bates" <lbates at swamisoft.com> writes:
>
>> Anybody know what variable I need to define in my
>> class to set the long description that shows up
>> in the Services control panel applet?
>>
>> _svc_name_         holds the short name
>> _svc_display_name_ holds the long name
>> _svc_?????_        holds the description
>
>There isn't any yet.  Apparently you have to call the win32 api
>ChangeServiceConfig2() (but maybe it can also be done with the wmi
>module).
>
>Thomas

Haven't tried it myself, but the Win32_Service WMI class does
 sport a Change method with the following signature:

 uint32 Change(
  string DisplayName,
  string PathName,
  uint32 ServiceType,
  uint32 ErrorControl,
  string StartMode,
  boolean DesktopInteract,
  string StartName,
  string StartPassword,
  string LoadOrderGroup,
  string LoadOrderGroupDependencies,
  string ServiceDependencies
);

All right; I did try it. It works:

<screendump>

ActivePython 2.2.3 Build 227 (ActiveState Corp.) based on
Python 2.2.3 (#42, Nov 13 2003, 09:57:55) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import wmi
>>> c = wmi.WMI ()
>>> for service in c.Win32_Service (Name="dnscache"): print service.Name,
service.DisplayName
Dnscache DNS Client
>>> service.Change (DisplayName="New DNS Client")
(<win32com.gen_py.Microsoft WMI Scripting V1.1 Library.ISWbemProperty
instance at 0x13968496>,)
>>> for service in c.Win32_Service (Name="dnscache"): print service.Name,
service.DisplayName
Dnscache New DNS Client

</screendump>

TJG