J2EE/EJB and Python

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Mar 22 14:52:39 EST 2004

Silvana Di Martino <silvanadimartino at tin.it> writes on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:56:07 +0000:
> Looking around, I found a few Application Servers (like "Crusader":
> http://www.movatis.com/crusader), Transaction Servers and Distributed Object
> Technology systems (like "PyRO": http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyro) that
> vaguely resemble to parts of J2EE so I think it is not impossible that a
> Python-based J2EE competitor/equivalent has ever been planned.

You get part of the picture with Zope (http://www.zope.org).

Compared with J2EE+EJB, Zope lacks request spanning transactions
and the third tier corresponding to EJB containers.

We use Zope as base of an E-Commerce platform.
We recently replaced a J2EE+EJB E-commerce solution
by the Zope based platform. The Zope solution was much
lighter weight (especially with respect to development time).

Dieter