[OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes]

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Wed Mar 31 21:02:31 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:08:38 -0800, Michael wrote:
> Why on Earth would you leap forwards and back through a top post to
> find anything?

Why on Earth would to include the quoted material if it's irrelevant to
your post?

> You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
> text. You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
> specific message this message was in reply to.

That information is already provided in the message headers
(specifically, the "References:" header on Usenet posts, the
"In-Reply-To:" header on emails).

> Top-posting should require you to scroll your screen less. I think if
> I started posting bottom-top text as you say you like better than
> top-posting then I'd rightly be killed by the list Gods.

If you only include the stuff you actually want to be read, then your
post is able to be read once, in a single direction.

Quote only the part of the original message you are replying to.

Reply below each part you're responding to, in chronological order.

Anything else is confusing and irritating for anyone who has learned to
read any human writing system.

--
 \      "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh |
  `\                                     at that man."  -- Jack Handey |