Inconsistency in Python's Comparisons

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Mar 17 03:38:32 EST 2004

Dietrich Epp wrote:

> I wouldn't say comparing different different types is necessarily an
> error, though.

It's guaranteed to be consistent, and sort is guaranteed not to go nuts
(as someone else pointed out).  The ordering is defined to be
consistent, although it does not define a well-ordering, and furthermore
need not be the same between different implementations (or even
different implementations).  It may not be an error, but there's no
reason for it to be a total ordering.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE