FreeBSD or OpenBSD for Python?

Washu me at privacy.net
Tue Mar 23 01:19:12 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:06:27 +0100, Patrick Useldinger wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am looking for alternatives to my current Linux OS, and am currently
> evaluating both FreeBSD and OpenBSD.
> Has anyone got a strong point for or against one of these OSes,
> specifically regarding Python? I am especially interested in
> - the ease of compiling CPython
> - the thread support (both for Python and in general)
> - running Twisted.
> Regards,
> -pu

I've noticed that OpenBSD has a current and stable ports version.  If you
stick with stable, you may wait for a bit for the ports maintainer to
upgrade to the next version.

Also, if you didn't install X11 when you installed OpenBSD and you try to
install Python from ports, it tries to install tcl, which tries to
eventually install X11.  You need to use 'flavors' to install a non-GUI
python version.