ready to use python, need help with GUI decision

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:06:30 EST 2004

> I understand tkinter is official and simple to use, but many who use
> wxPython swear by it, and it is gaining ground.

wxPython is easy to use, free, and available on most every platform you
could want to use.

> I would like to run on any platform, but that's not critical.  What I want
> to do is support an app that will grow over time, and should look clean.  I
> don't want to spend lots of time maintaining GUI code rather than app logic.

If you build your application right, maintenance shouldn't be a huge issue.

While I favor wxPython, it is really the only toolkit I've ever used,
and can only really say that I enjoy using it.

PyGTK looks to be about as easy to use, but I have no experience with
it, so I'll not comment.

I would argue against using PyQT, if only for the license restrictions
on Windows.

I would suggest you not try FXPy (Python's link to the Fox GUI toolkit),
if only because the latest version is quite old.

Initially for writing GUIs in Python, I tried tk, but found the learning
curve to be too steep.  It seems to get easier the more you use it.

  - Josiah