What's missing from python?

John Burton john.burton at jbmail.com
Tue Mar 23 03:40:19 EST 2004

John Burton wrote:

> One of the reasons I like python so much is that the standard
> installation comes with a whole lot of libraries to do lots of useful
> things but there seem to be a few things missing from the standard
> library which would be useful in many projects:
>
> Encryption - AES and 3DES. Possibly RSA and Certificate processing.
> DNS - Something better than gethostbyaddr for looking up other record
> types.
> Database - Something suitable for small projects / prototypes like
> pysqlite or something in pure python even.
> SSL/TLS - Some useful support...
>
> A lot of projects seem to need some of those. It's easy enough to
> install extras to do those thing but they are all things where it would
> be nice to have something in the standard library that you could rely on
> being there.
>
> Is there any reason why those things are not already in the standard
> library?

Thanks for all the comments.
The reason I chose those particular things was that they were things
that a fair number of programs seem to need but which there is no real
reason to need more than one implementation so it seems sensible to
include it. Obviously you can't put everything in.

Maybe the database thing doesn't qualify for that but it would be
*really* useful to be able to write tools and utilities that you could
put on a random manchine with python and they'd have some kind of
database available