3D apps in Python?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Mar 22 23:09:46 EST 2004

"Mike C. Fletcher" wrote:

>     * ZOE is apparently written in Python, never played with it.
>       Claims
>       to focus on wireframes and particle systems.

ZOE is indeed all-Python, using PyOpenGL.  It's designed to be very
minimal (you could certainly do non-wireframe stuff but that's not what
I use it for).  It's really a very simple engine designed to allow you
to create objects that know how to display themselves, group transform a
bunch at a time, and create particle system behavior.  It's minimal
enough that I can run it without hardware 3D acceleration with decent
framerates.

I created it so that I could do visualizations with some of my own
projects, and decided to release it since it's generic.

> However, these engines (save maybe ZOE, about which I know next to
> nothing) are focused primarily on teaching, rather than game or
> application development.

It would be fair to put ZOE in the same category.  It's for rapid
prototyping and simple visualization, not serious 3D application
development.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE