Python vs Perl (an example)

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Thu Mar 11 12:03:26 EST 2004

Premshree Pillai wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently wrote a Perl version of pyAlbum.py [1] -- a
> Python script to create an image album from a given
> directory -- plAlbum.pl [2].
>
> It made me realize how easy-to-use Python is.
>
> [1]
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/271246
> [2]
> http://www.premshree.resource-locator.com/cgi-bin/source.pl?file=../perl/plAlbum.pl
>
> -Premshree Pillai
>
> =====
> -Premshree
> [http://www.qiksearch.com/]

> Yahoo! India Insurance Special: Be informed on the best policies, services, tools and more.
> Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html

As a perl programmer I have to take issue with your code.

Why did you write len() when you could have used scalar which returns
the length of a list? Badly written Perl is hardly a fair comparison for
well written Python.

You might find Python easier than Perl but you are not a particulary
good Perl programmer.