Fast way to send message between 2 child processes? (using a file is too slow?)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Tue Mar 9 22:27:45 EST 2004

> shm isn't for everyone, since it gives you all the standard hassles of
> concurrent programming.  But using IP sockets is really unnecessary on
> a local system.  You should use AF_UNIX sockets instead.  They have
> much less overhead than IP sockets.

Probably.

The vast majority of the stuff that I write that needs IPC is on
Windows, so neither unix domain sockets nor shm is really available
(unless cygwin is able to work its magic).

I suppose could probably muck around with some win32 extensions and have
some special casing *nix/windows, but I'll probably end up sticking with
async (or unix domain) sockets unless I /really/ need speed.  It is good
to know that shm is around though.

  - Josiah