A 'Python like' language

Jon Franz jfranz at neurokode.com
Sat Mar 27 03:37:38 EST 2004

news:<o59960pt4nirvqjea79so494rtevc6mt8e at 4ax.com>...
> > What I found most interesting about this language is that it *doesn't
> > use classes* !!  All objects are derived directly from other objects,
> > some of which are "prototypes", that is, objects which were designed
> > to be just templates to produce other objects.
>
> Yes, this seemed interesting to me too. But when arrived at the sentence
> "Prothon only allows tabs for indentation" I couldn't continue reading ;-)

  I think the move to tabs-only for indentation was to allow for
single-pass compiling.  I'm not saying it was a good move, just that
that's my guess for the reason :)

What I found interesting was:
 - the use of the Apache Portable Runtime
(to provide threads, file and network services)
 - native threads via locks on each object
 - the stackless-ness
 - multiple interpreters via native threads

  It remains to be seen whether those sorts of changes result
in any significant speed differences.  I may try writing some
multithreaded test scripts and running them this weekend to see if
an actual performance increase exists over multi-threaded python
- if so, the internals may be of interest to the python community
itself.
  Has anyone else already performed that sort of performance
comparison?

~Jon Franz
NeuroKode Labs, LLC
513.260.5788