Python Documentation Blows!

Jonathan Daugherty cygnus at cprogrammer.org
Tue Mar 30 11:15:31 EST 2004

# It is a shame that the only limitation of a great is documentation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you are implying that good docs
make a great language, you're mistaken.  After all, you're advocating
Java in a python forum.  I do agree that java has good documentation,
but I not think Java should be considered "great" in any capacity.  If
the python docs are so bad, you should be specific about how and why.
Python is great for countless other reasons which are unrelated to
documentation.  I think the python docs are exceptional.

# Is the Tutorial and Module documentation on python.org enough?

I think so, but there are plenty of API-level facilities for getting
documentation on modules and functions.  If you have already written
two medium-complexity programs, then surely you have gone through
enough of the tutorial to know about foo.__doc__.

# What would it take to develop an JavaDoc like repository.

You're not going to get a flat list of functions and classes in python
like you do with the javadoc pages.  Python development proceeds in an
entirely different way, I think.  Your idea isn't necessarily a bad
one, but I think your idea of what docs should be is obviously heavily
influenced by your Java background; it's not necessarily better or
worse, it's just different.

--
    _  ,^.  _
|   \_,' `._/   |  http://www.cprogrammer.org