vim & python

poiboy bitbucket at safe-mail.net
Tue Mar 2 15:09:39 EST 2004

> what is the advantage of gvim?

I switched to GVim after moving from desktop/mouse to
laptop/trackpoint because trackpointers (a must-have, little knobby
joystick in the middle of the keyboard) eliminate the expense of small
pointer movements (if any IBM reps are reading, I am your ThinkPad
cheerleader). On the desktop, I felt most comfortable leaving the
mouse alone and using 'screen'
(http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html) to organize multiple
Vim windows.

In addition to the benefits already mentioned, GVim maintained better
speed than Vim after I added:

	autocmd BufEnter * :syntax sync fromstart

to alleviate (brutally) highlighting consistency problems with larger
files (500+ lines or so).

Aloha,
the poiboy