Again: Please hear my plea: print without softspace

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Tue Mar 2 02:53:50 EST 2004

> How about two trailing commas:
>
>    print foo
>
> now prints foo with a trailing newline.
>
>    print foo,
>
> suppresses the trailing newline but adds a trailing space.
>
>    print foo,,
>
> can suppress the trailing space as well.

Do you really want to see the following;

print "hello ",,"world"

IMO, if people really want to have precise control over their program
output, then they should be using sys.stdout.write(), printf-style
string formatting, or both.  For me, I see print as a convenience, not
as a one-function-fits-all-for-all-program-output.

  - Josiah