Package name with '.' in them: Python Bug ?

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Mar 21 19:56:26 EST 2004

news:8ef9bea6.0403211425.15ca2d4d at posting.google.com...
news:<mailman.179.1079764920.742.python-list at python.org>...

news:<105oe5k5ovugi5e at news.supernews.com>...

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/programming.html#how-do-i-create-static-class-data-and-static-class-methods

> Are you saying that this is a C++ Programming FAQ?
>
> (b) Search in Python mailing list for keywords "static variable"
> (quoted as single keyword) and "meaningless". There are exactly two
> entries, by authors John Roth and Terry Reedy. The fact is,
> historically speaking, so far there have been only two person in the
> Python community that have claimed "static variables" are meaningless
> in Python. Search again with "class static" as single (quoted)
> keyword, and you see plenty of people in the Python community talking
> about class-static issues, and none of them ever said that it is
> meaningless.
>
> So, how come all other people can discuss about class-static issues
> without problem, and only you two have to jump out with semantic
> issues and say it is meaningless?
>
> I don't understand. What is so special about you two? Are you guys the
> Real Academia de la Lengua Pythonica or something like that? :)

Rudeness objection.

According to the dictionary, which I looked up on dictionary.com,
the word static means unchanging. There is no such thing in
Python as something that cannot change.

You too can look up the actual dictionary definition of a word.

John Roth