decimal point character

Bror Johansson bror.johansson at saabtech.se
Thu Mar 4 02:10:25 EST 2004

"Ben Finney" <bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au> wrote in
message news:slrnc4cq4u.1lq.bignose-hates-spam at rose.localdomain.fake...
> The word you want, rather than "environment", is "locale".  The issue of
> decimal point separator is one of the "locale conventions", queried via
> locale.localeconv().
> Read about what each of these convention values mean:
>
>     <http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-locale.html>

Excellent answer. I really should have come to think about locale myself,
but ...

... still some questions:

I don't see anything about the builtin float() adhering to locale
conventions. Am I right to assume that float() behaves according to locale?

Is it "allowed" to modify localeconv()['decimal point'], or are unexpected
sideeffects possible?

/BJ