A 'Python like' language

Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone dialton3.NOSPAM#_ME_TAG# at virgilio.it
Fri Mar 26 14:25:11 EST 2004

Il Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:53:45 -0500, Roy Smith ha scritto:

> "John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:
>> Yes, especially since they didn't learn their lessons about tab as an
>> indentation character. That means that I can't send a Prothon program
>> (or snippet from one) using Outlook Express, which automaticlly strips
>> tabs from the front of lines, thus destroying the indentation.
>
> Are you objecting specifically to the use of the tab character for
> indenting, or to the use of white space for statement grouping in general?

Just the tab, python coding style says that 4 spaces is the standard for
indentation and you should try to avoid tab (unless for very old projects).
A single space is always a single space while a tab is often managed in obscure
ways...

Anyway GvR just posted on the python-dev saying this:

==
No, I want to reserve the leading dot for attribute assignment to a
special object specified by a 'with' statement, e.g.

with self:
    .foo = [1, 2, 3]
    .bar(4, .foo)
==

So another feature of this prothon (and a major one) is going to be a python one
too.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Linux User #310274, Gentoo Proud User