Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Tue Mar 30 15:58:08 EST 2004

>I don't think you need to worry. AFAIK Python 3 is the mythological
>if-I-could-turn-back-the-clock-and-undo-all-my-mistakes version
>of Python, which Guido probably won't have time to work with
>until his son is big enough to help him. (He'll be 3 in November.)
>It will have little regard for backward compatibility, and if it
>does appear sooner than expected, you can expect Python 2.x to be
>maintaned in parallel for a long time.

That's good. I was thinking that if they actually took out tab support
I'd have to fork the code base and keep applying a patch that added tab
support back in. Not to hard I think but not the kind of thing I like to do.

Overall I dislike features being removed, once added as
non-experimental. I think if a languages authors want to do major
changes like that which will break compatibility it's better to create a
new language. Even if the two languages are highly similar. Otherwise
you end up into weird issues like Perl where new versions take forever
and if they are released as many people are annoyed as are pleased. Call
them a family of languages if you like. So prehaps we could see the
language Monty with some of Guido's new and improved ideas.