Extending Python Syntax with @

Heather Coppersmith me at privacy.net
Thu Mar 18 14:00:52 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:58:03 -0500,
"John Roth" <newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:

> Second, what is it about which tools that you don't like?  Be
> specific, I'm sure that at least some of the tool vendors would
> like feedback on their pride and joy.

Every IDE is built around a text editor.  Software development is
executing processes and procedures, i.e., workflow.  No IDE is
quite like $EDITOR and $SHELL, which I have been using for
<mumble> years.  Operating $EDITOR is hard-wired into my fingers.
Customizing and extending $EDITOR in my own arguably convoluted
ways, and writing $SHELL scripts/programs/tools for my own
workflow habits, increases my comfort and my productivity.
If/when IDE developers realize how personal $EDITOR and my
personal collection of $SHELL tools have become, and if/when
$EDITOR becomes a drop-in replacement widget for the IDE(s) in
question, there's a chance that that IDE may approach the
productivity and comfort levels I acheive using $EDITOR and
$SHELL.

Remember USCD Pascal?

Excel : Visual Basic :: IDE : Programming Language.

The typical SmallTalk or Lisp environment might come close, but
their footprints are larger than Sasquatch's.  Also, those
environments, when done right, are SmallTalk or Lisp "all the way
down" into the OS, which makes for a more homogenous experience
than what I usually feel like I get with today's "modern" IDEs
glued atop an OS and a GUI.

End of rant.  Sorry.

Regards,
Heather

--
Heather Coppersmith
That's not right; that's not even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli