Brent Ashley's JavaScript remote scripting (JSRS)

Harald harald.nyman at astrazeneca.com
Tue Mar 9 13:29:12 EST 2004

I'd say it works. Caveats, like Bob says - may become browser-dependent.
Have done a few of these, with JavaScript + a small applet in the page.
(Not JSRS, though (not even HTTP..))

1) Page with a progress bar + some status fields to be updated w/o refresh.
   Uses a small Python socket server, polled by the applet.
2) Web app with ~15 pages created by Python+CGI. Slow, as Python starts and
   imports modules for each page. Instead of CGI, we tried a threaded Twisted
   TCP server, started once, importing everything. Ok, not "interactive page",
   but _fast_. Tricky things were handling cookies + form data; these are
   compiled by JavaScript into 'dictionaries' (text), eval'ed by Python.
3) File manager. Backend is a servlet (this was before I met Python :),
   handling file/directory operations, and sending back HTML to the applet,
   which updates the page dynamically. Very interactive.

Harald