PEP 318

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Wed Mar 24 19:21:19 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:44:09AM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Andrew> How is the registry not going to help distinguish between the
>     Andrew> foo methods from C, and the foo methods from C2?
>
> By keying the dispatch table on (foo, Matrix) or (foo, Long).  Note that
> your classes (C and C2) make no sense given that the first parameter to the
> multimethod() calls are Matrix and Long, respectively.

The first parameter thing is just a result of the confusion between myself
and Ville about whether we were discussing methods or functions... I thought
it was odd too, but I was trying to adapt the examples given earlier in the
thread as faithfully as I could, but I didn't realise Ville was talking
about functions, not methods.  Imagine my examples with the first argument
to multimethod removed, i.e.:

    class C:
        def foo(self, other):
        foo = multimethod(Matrix)(foo)

        def foo(self, other):
        foo = multimethod(Vector)(foo)

    class C2:
        def foo(self, other):
        foo = multimethod(String)(foo)

I still don't get how a implementation of multimethod using a global
dispatch table can support all of these calls correctly:

    c, c2 = C(), C2()
    c.foo(some_matrix)  # This is fine
    c.foo(some_vector)  # This is fine too
    c.foo(some_string)  # This should fail!
    c2.foo(some_matrix) # This should also fail!
    c2.foo(some_string) # This is fine

Well, maybe you can do it by stack introspection in the multimethod call to
determine what class definition you're in, but that's vile.

-Andrew.