Python for large projects

Andrew Wilkinson ajw140NO at SPAMyork.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 07:25:25 EST 2004

assaf__ at walla.com wrote:
> If python is indeed suitable for large projects, how common is it to
> actually use if for such purposes? Is there perhaps a list of examples of
> real projects using python?

I would say that Python is very suitable for use in large projects, just the
benefit of automatic memory management is enough to convince me that it
beats C++. The powerful builtin types are another big win - what you would
spend ages coding in C++ is often a no brainer in Python.

Obviously there are downsides, I find the lack of static type checking to
cause some bugs to hide in my code that in other languages would be found
at compile time. In general (and IMHO) though, the pros far outway cons.

There is a decent sized list of companies that use Python at
http://pythonology.org/success.

HTH,
Andrew