get notepad on windows to front via tcp-server

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 04:00:06 EST 2004

>1)
>Is there some way to make notepad to become the front window when it
>is started from within a tcp-server, using something like
>
>os.system("notepad") or
>os.system("start /w notepad")
>
>Using these methods from a python shell works as expected, but using a
>tcp-client/server construct gives me notepad in the rear.

There is -- as far as I know -- no switch you can pass to notepad
 (or any other application I know about) which will force it to
 become the foreground window.

If you can get the window handle (depends a bit on how you launch
 the app and/or how much you can guarantee about its title), you
 could use the technique outlined here:

http://www.swissdelphicenter.ch/torry/showcode.php?id=261

The essential bits are the BringWindowToTop and SetForegroundWindow
 functions which are available via the win32gui module of pywin32.
 But you do have to find the window handle first. SetForegroundWindow
 has a number of restrictions which explain the rest of the code
 in the example. See here for explanations:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/win
dowing/windows/windowreference/windowfunctions/setforegroundwindow.asp

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk