[OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes]

Stephen Horne steve at ninereeds.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 22:11:11 EST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:08:38 -0800, Michael
<mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu> wrote:

>>This is actually better than top-posting. At least the reading
>>direction is _consistently_ upwards, rather than requiring people to
>>leap forwards and back through the post in a desperate attempt to find
>>the clues they need.
>>
>That'd get really interesting when posting code examples. Why on Earth
>would you leap forwards and back through a top post to find anything?
>You start reading at the top and read until you run into the quoted
>text.

Rubish. You read the top post until you don't know what it's talking
about, and then you have to read stuff in the quoted text to find the
context, then you return to the top until you hit the next problem,
and then you're back to the quoted text again and so on.

> You only read the quoted text if you're curious to see which
>specific message this message was in reply to.

My memory isn't that good that I can remember everything about some
post written days ago just from identifying which particular one it
was. Even if I did, I won't necessarily understand the logical
connections between parts of the reply and parts of the replied-to
message unless they are ordered such that each piece of the reply
follows a quote identifying the specific thing it is replying to.

--
Steve Horne