Python bytecode compatibility between interpreter versions

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Mar 20 14:23:23 EST 2004

In article <c3hknq$2864jv$1 at ID-180326.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Jon Perez  <jbperez808 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Right.  I am aware that freezing is the optimal way to distribute
>apps written in Python today.  After trying out Java though, I have
>to say I'm impressed with the way you can take a bunch of class
>files archived in the exact same jarfile to *ANY* computer with a
>JRE installed, type in java -jar jarfile and have it run _identically_.

Really?  I'm sorry, I have just a tiny bit of difficulty believing that,
considering all the stories i've heard about Java not being completely
cross-platform and cross-version.  I am sure that simple cases work as
you describe, but I'd like a cite for Java working as you describe in
general.

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk