Why can't Lists be private variables in a class

Neal Holtz nholtz at docuweb.ca
Sun Mar 7 15:25:27 EST 2004

Possibly.

As a previous poster mentioned, there were so many things wrong
with the example posted, that it was a bit difficult to know what
actually was attempted and what went wrong.  I *think* the OP
wanted private variables, and his attempt didn't work -- though again
the error would not have been what the OP said it was.  On a near
approximation of what I *think* was attempted, the error should be

   AttributeError: Myclass instance has no attribute '_Myclass__SYMTAB'

Of course, to get the nearest thing to private variables, you do

class Myclass:

    __SYMTAB = [ ]

    def __init__ ...

and the name mangling docs still explain why that works and the other didn't.