Efficiently test for positive re.match then use the result?

Karl Pflästerer sigurd at 12move.de
Wed Mar 3 14:53:50 EST 2004

On  3 Mar 2004, elmlish <- elmlish at netscape.net wrote:

> Mostly what I've seen people do is to first test for the match, and then
> try matching again to get the results.  This would seem to be pretty
> inefficient to me.

Where did you see that?  Often you see code like:

m = re.match('foo', 'foobar')
if m: do_something with m

> I've tried making the match, then sending it to a variable, then testing
> if the variable is good and then finally using it, but this still seems
> overkill.

It isn't; you can't have directly an return value from assignment in
Python like e.g in C, so you can't write code like:

if m = re.match('foo', 'foobar'): do_somethiing_with_m

Global vars are also normally not set from re-matching (you could write
your own matching function which sets a global var; but that's seldom a
good idea ).

> I'm also trying to use this in list comprehensions, mostly because they
> are kind of fun.  What I've got right now looks something like this.

> [<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x11e218>]

> This is a small test, but what I will be looking for various matches in
> is a large special purpose text file.

> Does anyone have input on how something like this _should_ be done?
> thanks,

I don't know how it _should_ be done but I can tell you how it _could_ be
done.

Use a class like the following:

class Matcher (object):
    __slots__  = ('reg', 'match')

    def __init__ (self, reg):
        self.reg = reg
        self.match = None

    def __call__ (self, val):
        self.match = self.reg(val)
        if self.match:
            return True

Now you could use it like:

>>> alist = ['boo','hoo','choo']
>>> reg = Matcher(re.compile('choo').match)
>>> [reg.match for c in alist if reg(c)]
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0xb3de58>]

That's no overkill.

But if you wanted it even lighter you could use a closure (but don't
tell anyone :-) )

def matcher (reg):
    res = [None]
    def fun (s):
        m = reg(s)
        if m: res[0] = m
        return m
    return res, fun

You use it like that:

>>> res, reg = matcher(re.compile('choo').match)
>>> [res[0] for c in alist if reg(c)]
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0xa14e90>]

Or you simply write:

>>> reg = re.compile('choo').match
>>> filter(None, [reg(line) for line in alist])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0xb3df38>]

Even for a big list filter(None, ...) is fast.

   KP

--
You know you've been sitting in front of your Lisp machine too long
when you go out to the junk food machine and start wondering how to