PyPerl 1.0.1 [requires Visual Studio compiler?]

Eric @ Zomething eric at zomething.com
Tue Mar 30 00:55:03 EST 2004

It seems like this is the second time I have come across this with a Python module, and I'd like to get some perspective on it.

I tried to build PyPerl (on my Win XP machine) and got the following:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\pyperl-1.0.1>setup.py install

    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    creating build
    creating build\lib.win32-2.3
    copying dbi.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
    copying dbi2.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
    copying perlpickle.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
    copying perlmod.py -> build\lib.win32-2.3
    running build_ext
    error: Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need to
    be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

As I'm a just poor boy with a dog, I do not own or use Visual Studio (as nice as it may be).  I do have/use the mingw 2.95.2-1 C++ compiler (in case of an emergency or if my life gets too simple).

Is it possible to build this module with what I have?  Should I expect to need Visual Studio from time to time for building Python modules which dive into C++?  Am I totally off track here?  Is this just what I get for not absorbing some readme file?

Eric Pederson