Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Sun Mar 28 18:32:25 EST 2004

"Harald Massa" <cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
news:Xns94BBF152E6BBcpl19ghumspamgourmet at 62.153.159.134...
> Mark,
>
> I see most discussion about Prothon is concerning prototypes.
>
> Can you explain to me in easy words, why it is NOT possible to integrate
> prototypes into Python to stand "side by side" with classes?
>
> I never had a problem to "add an attribute" to an existing object; I
really
> can't see why it should be more than some small hacks to allow "adding a
> function to an existing object".

As you note, you can do that with a simple assignment,
and it will work. The two problems are:

1. The clone operation

2. Syntax sugar to make it all nice and palatable.

I suspect that a usable clone() operation is less
than 10 lines. The syntax sugar, on the other hand,
will IMNSHO, take forever to get agreement.

John Roth