Extending Python Syntax with @

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Thu Mar 11 09:50:57 EST 2004

David MacQuigg wrote:
> If you believe as I do that Python is not yet the ultimate language,
> and some syntactical changes are still to come, then it seems like
> using a very distinct symbol like @ may have some merits.

If what motivates you is the 'ultimate language' and think you can get
closer to it by adding special characters then you are going to be very
disappointed. The history of computing is littered with 'ultimate
languages' that have had much more thought put into them than adding
special characters to an existing language (C++ comes to mind) and they
all have in common the fact that they failed.

To be fair C++ was never touted as an 'ultimate language' but you get
the picture.

If you feel python has a significant flaw then say what it is and how
you believe it would best be addressed. Using @ as a special character
is just adding sugar to the syntax.

Maybe what we need is a language that has only a grammer and the syntax
/ vocabulary comes from the objects. Or is that AppleScript?