Problems with py2exe 0.50 and win98se and win2k

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Mar 25 15:16:15 EST 2004

jamesl at appliedminds.com (James Laamnna) writes:

>> Can it be that py2exe collects some system dlls in the dist dir?
>
> The dlls it collects are:
> python23.dll (needed)
> qt-mt230nc.dll (needed - i use pyqt)
> libsip.dll (also for pyqt)
>
> Also it collects:
> ddraw.dll
> glu32.dll
> opengl32.dll
>
> Not sure why it collects those last 3.
> Could that be the problem?

Yes, that's the problem.  I just examined the last three dlls with
dependencywalker, and found that opengl32.dll on my XP Pro, SP 1 system
uses the IsWow64Process function in kernel32.dll.

Looking at opengl32.dll file properties, the file version is
"5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)", which look xp specific.

Using the XP version of this file (and I guess the same holds for
ddraw.dll and glu32.dll) on win98 or win2k surely leads to desaster.

I think that you must install DDraw and OpenGL on the target system 'the
official way', and not by using the files that py2exe collects.  py2exe
has a simple mechanism which tries to exclude 'system dlls', but
obviously it fails in this case.

Therefore you should use the 'dll_excludes' option, the wiki has an
example how to use it.

Thomas